16 May 2009

THE SHACK by Wm. Paul Young

Page 72 ~ “His friend unfolded the paper and read silently. “Geez, what kind of loony kook would write you something like this? And who is Papa?” “Well, you know, Papa – Nan’s favorite name for God.” Mack shrugged, not sure what else to say. He took back the note and slid it into his shirt pocket. “Wait – you aren’t thinking this is really from God, are you?” Mack stopped and turned to face him. He had just about finished packing anyway. “Willie, I’m not sure what to think about this. I mean, at first I thought it was just a hoax, and it made me angry and sick to my stomach. Maybe I’m just losing it. I know it sounds crazy, but somehow I feel strangely drawn to find out for sure. I gotta go Willie, or it’ll drive me nuts forever.” “Have you thought of the possibility that this might be the killer? What if he’s luring you back for some reason?” “Of course I’ve thought of that. Part of me won’t be disappointed if it is. I have a score to settle with him,” he said grimly and paused. “But that doesn’t make a lot of sense either. I’m not thinking the killer would sign this note ‘Papa’. You’d have to really know our family to come up with that.” Willie was perplexed. Mack continued, “And no one who knows us that well would ever send a note like this. I’m thinking only God would…maybe.” “But God doesn’t do stuff like that. At least I’ve never heard of him sending someone a note. Not that he couldn’t, but, you know what I mean. And why would he want you to return to the shack, anyway? I can’t think of a worse place…” The silence that hung between them grew awkward.”

Young, Wm. Paul. THE SHACK. Windblown Media, Hachette Book Group: CA. 2007. ISBN# 0-9647292-3-7

No comments: