14 March 2008

Stepping Heavenward; One Woman's Journey to Godliness (By Mrs. Elliot Prentiss)

"Last Sunday, Dr. Cabot preached to the young. He first addressed those who knew they did not love God. It did not seem to me that I belonged to that class. Then he spoke to those who knew they did. I felt sure I was not one of those. Last of all he spoke affectionate to those who did not know what to think, and I was frightened and ashamed to feel tears running down my cheeks when he said that he believed that most of his hearers who were in their doubtful state really did love their Master, only their love was something as new and as tender and perhaps as unobserved as the tiny point of green that, forcing it's way through the earth, is yet unconscious of it's own existence but promises a thrifty plant.
~ Chapter 2, page 27

"I have been much impressed by Dr. Cabot's sermon's today. While I am listening to his voice and hear him speak of the beauty and desireableness of the Christian life, I feel as he feels that I am willing to count all things but dross that I may win Christ. But when I come home to my worldly cares, I get completely absorbed in them; and it is only by a painful wrench that I force my soul back to God. "
~ Chapter 17, page 213

Prentiss, K. Stepping Heavenward; One Woman's Journey to Godliness. Barbour Publishing Inc: Ohio. 1998. Used by permission (per flyleaf) ISBN# 978-1-57748-342-7

No comments: